Holy Child School: A legacy of excellence in girls education in Cape Coast since 1946

Stories and facts

Holy Child School, also known as Angel's Hill, is a prestigious all-girls boarding institution located in Cape Coast in the Central Region of Ghana.

Established by the Society of the Holy Child Jesus (SHCJ) in 1946, the school aims to provide quality education primarily to Catholic girls in the region. Over the years, Holy Child School has garnered a reputation for academic excellence.

In 2003, it was ranked among the top 10 schools in Africa, boasting the best overall female student in the Senior Secondary School Certificate Examinations (SSSCE).

The school continued to excel, producing the best and second-best overall students in the 2017 West African Senior School Examination (WASSCE).

Currently, Holy Child School educates over 1,000 girls aged between 14 and 18 years, all of whom are boarders. The school's motto, "Facta Non Verba" (Actions Not Words), reflects its emphasis on deeds over words. The institution's colors are yellow and brown, and it is presently headed by Linda Appiah.

The foundation of Holy Child School is deeply rooted in the history of Catholic education in Ghana. Following the establishment of Mfantsipim School (Methodist) in 1876 and Adisadel College (Anglican) in 1910, the Catholic community recognized the need for a Catholic-based education system.

This vision materialized when Bishop Porter, on January 15, 1935, led the foundation-stone laying ceremony for St. Augustine's College. Inspired by this progress, Bishop Porter shifted his focus to female education, emphasizing the importance of a Catholic atmosphere for nurturing young girls' minds, bodies, and souls.

Due to an acute shortage of female teachers in the 1930s, Bishop Porter appealed to the Rev. Mother General in 1934 to establish a secondary school for girls.

The plan gained traction after World War II, and on August 12, 1945, the foundation stone of Holy Child School was laid. The school's establishment was part of a broader post-war initiative to expand educational opportunities for girls in the region.

The first contingent of three nuns, including Rev. Mother Mary Joachim, arrived in Takoradi on February 20, 1946.

By March 5 of the same year, essential facilities, including dormitories, dining rooms, and a convent, were ready, and the school admitted its first 120 students.

Encouraged by Bishop Porter, the student population grew rapidly, reaching 700 by 1955, necessitating the transfer of the Training College Department to Takoradi.

Holy Child School offers both academic and vocational courses and has a legacy of producing highly qualified professional women who contribute significantly to society.

The school's distinctive educational approach grants students a degree of freedom and trust, fostering a strong sense of conscience and principles that endure beyond their school years.

This philosophy, rooted in the school's motto, continues to guide and inspire generations of young women at Holy Child School.

Share

0 Comments

Be the first to leave a comment!